Linux drive in a Windows box

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Anand A Rao wrote:

> I had the exact same issue ,  My hard disk had died  and  connecting
> this  hdd to the  system prevented  the  main  ( running) HDD to be
> recognized by the  BIOS. Felt  it was strange.  I found my HDD disks
> was not even  spinning. I  did  Lose some data  on that HDD.

Sounds like maybe the controller on the drive is bad. You may be able to
switch in the controller from another drive to access the media. Just to
be sure, make sure its the controller from exactly the same drive.

Some years back, when hard drives were expensive, some people would buy
junk drives at the MIT flea market and switch controllers around and get
working drives. Personally, I don't think it was worth the time and money
invested, but I guess there's some personal satisfaction (and bragging
rights) for being so resourceful.