Folllow up to my Disk Druid Question, or "comedy of errors"

On 10 Apr 2004 10:51:43 -0400
Bill Horne <bill at billhorne.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Since I've been recommending a single partition for "home" grade
> installations, please share the reasons for using this plan.
I strongly recommend at least a separate /home and /usr/local/. The
reasons for this are:
1. When reinstalling or upgrading Linux your /home and /usr/local
directories will not be destroyed. Note that I recommend clean installs
rather than upgrade installs of any OS (Unix, Linux, Windows...).

2. Backing up. Although this really pertains to the Unix dump command
that works on a file system basis.

Additionally, some people like to create a /boot file system. The reason
for a /boot is that you keep it normally unmounted so it is not subject
to some inadvertent corruption. I generally don't make a separate /boot.

Some people also prefer a separate /var. There are some good reasons for
this. The /var file system is very volatile since it contains logs an
spools. By separating it from the root file system, you add a tab more
protection against corruption of the root file system. Another advantage
is that it also limits problems that arise when some log or spool gets
too large due to normal use or possibly hacking.

On my home system, I also have 2 root file systems, one for the current
version of the OS and another for the next version. once I install a new
version of Linux, the old version becomes a fallback. I also have some
partitions available for backing up my system and my wife's system every
night.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group