learning java

Duane Morin <dmorin at lear.morinfamily.com> wrote:
> But I gotta say, somebody doesn't declare an array properly and i'm gonna
> ask "When's the last time you wrote Java code?"

Good point. I have to admit, though, that this one had me stumped, until
you wrote the above. And I last wrote Java yesterday. :-) I believe I
even did something involving an array yesterday.

Unfortunately, the fact is that whenever I do any programming in any
language, I keep the API docs and language specs on hand. (Google seldom
enters into it.) Because there are so many basic libraries and API's
nowadays, and each language has its own conventions, it's almost
impossible for me to keep them straight in my mind. And even sometimes
conventions in a single language differ widely. (For example, to get the
number of elements of an array, use array.length; to get the number of
elements of a List, like a Vector, use list.size().) Put these all in
the same brain along with C++, C, Python, and Perl, and there are going
to be a few references to the API spec.

-TimK