Linux says "booting the kernel" and then locks up?

Hi all,

I think the problem was probably with my floppy.  Floppies are really
annoying.  I noticed that, if I ran a dd to the floppy, I was getting an
i/o error, so I made an ext2 image 8k smaller, put it on the disk, and ran
lilo, and then it worked!  Well, I had to recompile again because I didn't
have support for the right network card compiled in, and I have more work
to do since I need devfs support apparently, but now it's booted and found
the root fs.

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions, anyway.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --
A better world is possible! http://www.kucinich.us