Getting started w/ Debian

Brendan wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 July 2004 10:27, Drew Taylor wrote:
>
>>So I'm looking more for thoughts that might help a (Debian) newbie. I've
>>been using RedHat for years, so I'm no stranger to Linux. Any gotchas,
>>important hints, etc that might be specific to Debian are appreciated.
>

> Debian is going to be insanely weird if you have been using Red Hat with no
> exposure to up2date, yum, apt4rpm, etc.

Honestly, I didn't even use rpm a lot - preferring to compile everything
from source. Maybe it's because I like more control over the system
layout, but that is neither here nor there. I'm happy to learn whatever
I need.

> Keep a good /etc/apt/sources.list, because this is your system's world. It
> won't look anywhere else for updates/software than here, really.
>
> Tips (at least from me): for a desktop, stick with unstable, and for a server,
> I have done well with stable/testing.

I understand there are different sources for updates, and differing
levels of "stability". This will be a server (although via a surplus
desktop), so stable/testing sounds good. What is the difference between
the two? I really want to play with the 2.6 kernel if that makes a
difference.

> A good /etc/apt/sources.list for my unstable system at work:
> deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
>
> # the non-US Debian packages.  Uncomment the deb-src line if you
> # want 'apt-get source' to work with non-US packages.
> deb http://debian.teleglobe.net/non-US/ unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

Thanks for the list of sources. I'll check them out this week.

> I run an apt-get update everyday to keep current, and sometimes, I check out
> apt-get upgrade to see what's going to upgrade. It's dorky, but it keeps the
> good times rolling.

Are there many changes on a day-to-day basis? The impression I've gotten
of Debian is that they are much more conservative about releases,
preferring to remain behind the curve. Although that's not necessarily a
bad thing for servers...

BTW, I plan on being at the meeting tomorrow so I hope my questions then
won't seem to newbie-ish.

Drew
Drew Taylor                 *  Web development & consulting
Email: drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
Web  : www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres