memory limits....

> Guys,
>
> I seem to be running into memory allocation limits a bit greater than
> 2.4 Gigabytes. Does anyone know if there are any kernel level
> limits on how much memory a user can malloc in user space?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers. Steve.
>
> P.S. I'm running Redhat enterprise 3 2.4 kernel.

32bit code on a pentium or higher is limited to 4G per process.

Way back when, the OS took up the top two gigs, and left the bottom 2G for
user space. More recently, with larger memory requiements, the OS started
to give up some of its two gig space back to applications.

A lot of things affect how much space the OS takes up in shared space. It
is hard to say for sure unless we know more.

If you need much more than 2G in user space, consider 64bit Linux.