Linux on the Thinkpad, continued

Once again I tried posting from the wrong return address ...

Updating to 2.6.10 kernel / "Hoary Hedgehog" seems to have helped the
thermal problems -- 2.6.10 has the ibm-apci kernel mods built in.  I've
also put a laptop cooler under it pro-tempore.

I thought from the docs that I'd get better heat control if I switched
from "powernow" to "cpudyn" as the userspace throttle-policy-bot, but
when I rebooted this morning the throttle was full-speed-ahead and the
CPU temp was climbing fast, so I switched on the cooler and did a quick
re-install of "powernow" with synaptic, and reboot again.

And this time remembered to change the screensaver from one of the
trig-and-graphics-heavy cpu-burners to a nice slow lame barcodes that
should let it REST instead of toast.

Ubuntu is pretty cool aside from heating up the laptop the first time -
Default install includes Gaim, Firefox and Evolution (email), all seem
quite good. I do now see why some people find paying for Mandrake
commercial install a convenience, the Debian-style Firefox from Ubuntu
comes without Java support.