Gentoo boot issue, possibly framebuffer?

Hi,

I've been installing a Gentoo system for the last few days (off and
on), and I just got it setup the way I want, except that now it won't
boot correctly. I recompiled the kernel and tweeked some settings,
and now when I try to boot the first few lines of the kernel flash
by, but then the monitors flash off and give a warning that the
display signal is not compatible.

At this point, I can press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and restart, but the
computer does not seem to be booting up normally, because if I wait a
few minutes, I still can't ssh into the system.

I'm sorry I can't give more detail, the kernel logs flash by so
quickly I can't even tell what the last thing displayed before the
screen goes black is.

Any thoughts?

I've tried passing:

video=vga16:off in to the kernel at boot time using grub, but that
doesn't seem to help. :(

-Josh