Discuss Digest, Vol 12, Issue 35

dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 03:38:09PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
>> Out of curiosity, is that $14.95 DSL come-on from Verizon worth looking at?
>> For a backup connection in case of disaster or such?
>
> Not really. After all, the $14.95 only lasts the first 3 months,
> IIRC.

The Verizon site lists it as the price for a one-year contract, so
presumably the price lasts that long. They do, however, have the
following disclaimer language:

"At the end of the one-year commitment period, your rate will increase
to the then current month-to-month rate. To maintain your discounted
monthly rate, you must agree to an additional one-year commitment or
have a qualifying local and long distance plan. A $19.95 shipping and
activation charge will apply to each DSL order. An additional monthly
Supplier FUSF recovery charge and, where applicable, a tax recovery
charge applies and will be added to your monthly bill."

Also, the current offers are only valid through 9/30/05 -- in other
words, today. But they may extend them.

If you're willing to do business with Verizon, it doesn't seem like too
bad a deal. And there aren't any upfront costs other than the $19.95
activation (the DSL modem is free), so at worst, if they increase the
rate drastically after the year is up, you can just turn it off.