LVM + RAID follow up

Rich,

"Rich Braun" <richb at pioneer.ci.net> writes:

> Each time I add capacity, I wind up adding another RAID device (at this point
> I have md0, md1, and md2).  This is more or less invisible at the user level
> but at the administrative level it will eventually be hairy enough that I'll
> want to wipe the disks and move everything to a single device md0.  The
> commands to do that aren't difficult but I'll probably do that whenever I
> migrate to a new Linux distro.  (Suse-10 is the one I'm using on the newer
> system.)
>
> Here's an example of what I just did to add space to my MP3 volume:
>
> # pvdisplay -C
>   PV         VG      Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
>   /dev/md0   system  lvm2 a-   110.50G 4.00G
>   /dev/md1   system1 lvm2 a-    27.17G 2.05G
>   /dev/md2   system2 lvm2 a-    11.26G 4.26G
> # lvextend --size +2.5G /dev/system/volmp3
>   Extending logical volume volmp3 to 91.00 GB
>   Logical volume volmp3 successfully resized
> # resize_reiserfs /dev/system/volmp3
> resize_reiserfs 3.6.18 (2003 www.namesys.com)
> resize_reiserfs: On-line resizing finished successfully.

Are you using RAID-0, RAID-1, or RAID-5?   I've been trying to
think about how I want to configure a server (that I haven't
acquired, yet, so it's not an urgent issue)..  I kind of want to
use RAID-5, not RAID-0 or RAID-1..  But I also don't know how
to combine the RAID vs. LVM vs. partitions in order to have
a protected /boot partition in addition to a very very large /

-derek

believed to be clean.