Apache2 many processes

On 2/3/07, Robert La Ferla <robertlaferla at comcast.net> wrote:
> Have you looked at these vars in the httpd.conf file?
>
> MinSpareServers
> MaxSpareServers
> StartServers
> MaxClients
> MaxRequestsPerChild

I am using the same config file that I used for my Debian system
This is taken from Apache2.conf

# MaxClients ........... maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild .. maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers         5
MinSpareServers      5
MaxSpareServers     10
MaxClients          20
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

# pthread MPM
# StartServers ......... initial  number of server processes to start
# MaxClients ........... maximum  number of server processes allowed to start
# MinSpareThreads ...... minimum  number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads ...... maximum  number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild ...... constant number of worker threads in each
server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild .. maximum  number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients         150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

# perchild MPM
# NumServers ........... constant number of server processes
# StartThreads ......... initial  number of worker threads in each
server process
# MinSpareThreads ...... minimum  number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads ...... maximum  number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxThreadsPerChild ... maximum  number of worker threads in each
server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild .. maximum  number of connections per server
process (then it dies)
<IfModule perchild.c>
NumServers           5
StartThreads         5
MinSpareThreads      5
MaxSpareThreads     10
MaxThreadsPerChild  20
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
AcceptMutex fcntl
</IfModule>

I can not locate the modules that activate the processes.  It actually
seems like none of the processes should be activated.  There must be
modules allocated in places other that the apache2.conf and the
/modules-enabled locations

> And do you know for a fact that Apache is loading the configuration
> file that you think it is?  i.e. there could be multiple
> installations of Apache and thus multiple config files.

I have apache config files on other partitions for other OSes.  I
check the sim links to see if they are actually linking to other
partitons

I will get it eventually, I always have problems with apache and exim
when I install a new system.  However, I never had 50+ processes of
apache running

Thanks for the help
Jay

believed to be clean.