HELP: FC6 kernel on CentOS 4.4 breaks things

Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> * RHEL4 (CentOS 4.4) is supported by VMware Server 1.0.2
> * VMware Server 1.0.2 is known to be semi-broken on kernels >= 2.6.19
> * SATA performance on 2.6.9 is horrendous, compared to kernel 2.6.17+
>  * Thus, we need at least this kernel level.
>  * 2.6.18 adds NCQ, so we want that
> * Building a Vanilla kernel is not useful, since all the distro
> patches for CentOS will be unapplied, and applying all of them myself
> is asking for trouble according to the devs @ #centos

On second thought, you might just go ahead and try the vanilla kernel (don't
apply the CentOS patches).  Most of the patches fall into two catagories:
 -feature enhancements
 -backported bugfixes from newer kernel versions

Clearly you don't need to bother with the second category, since by
definition they're already in the newer upstream kernel, and Redhat is
pretty good about pushing their feature enhancements upstream, so most
likely the feature enhancements you want are already integrated into the
vanilla 2.6.18+.

(btw, you'll still want to use the .config from the CentOS sources as a
baseline, and use it to 'make oldconfig'; that will ensure the greatest
compatibility with CentOSs normal configuration)

Matt

believed to be clean.