Best way to install a custom kernel on multiple nodes

On Aug 08, 2007, at 22:21, Vinay Perneti wrote:

> I have a custom kernel (2.6.21) with some nfs stuff modified. I
> know how to
> build and install the kernel on a single machine. However, I was
> trying to
> find the best way to install it on multiple nodes. One of the
> obvious ways
> is to make rpm packages and use them ( The nodes i'm trying to
> install the
> kernel run Redhat enterprise edition 5).
>
> I was trying to make rpms for the kernel packages using
> instructions on this
> link "http://grid-it.cnaf.infn.it/index.php?rpmbuild&type=1";.
> However, that
> didn't go so well cuz it required a config_smp to be present, which
> i did
> not have on the RHEL 5 i was working on.

Those instructions are ancient and outdated. I'd throw them out.
Start with a Fedora kernel spec instead, and the Fedora custom kernel
docs.

> Also, once the build is done, Is it possible to migrate the modules
> and the
> bzImage's on to other machines without building it on each node
> individually?

Yes. That's more or less what an rpm (and a deb) does, in a portable
format.

> Any pointers on how to build an rpm out of a custom kernel?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

Anything there that doesn't make sense, I'd love to hear about it,
and can certainly try to provide clarification and any fixes to the
spec as necessary.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org