Re: fetchmail question

 On Monday 12 November 2007 11:57:09 am Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> On Nov 12, 2007 8:28 AM, dan moylan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > in running fetchmail from my home directory, it found 198
> > messages but failed to download them.  what have i not
> > done that fetchmail can't connect to 127.0.0.1/25?
>
> Ubuntu ships by default with no ports open.

No *remote* ports open. We're talking localhost port 25, which is generally
always open, so that the system can deliver local mail, like logwatch
reports, etc. Pretty sure that's how those 198 messages got there... :)

> Thus, make sure you have
> your server installed and listening...

I'm guessing the problem is actually that fetchmail doesn't usually fetch from
port 25[*], since it operates more like a mail *client* than an MTA. It
usually fetches from imap/imaps/pop3/pop3s. I typically have fetchmail pull
(and delete) mail from another mail server via pop3s myself. Of course, now
that I think about it, why on earth would you want to connect fetchmail to
localhost?!? The mail is already on the system...

*: it does support ESMTP ETRN, but I've not a clue how to set that up. The
fetchmail man page suggests only sendmail has support, and I prefer to stay
away from sendmail.

--
Jarod Wilson
[hidden email]