Re: Fwd: Upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit Fedora Linux without a system reinstall

 On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:43:11 -0500
jbk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally read through the article and it is something I
> would not want to try because you have to be able to
> anticipate all the problems you will have.
> I still think that the best way is to have parallel
> partitions, one with the current OS and the other ready for
> the next update. It has worked for me from Fc3 to F7.

I agree. I generally prefer to perform fresh installs on my home
desktop system and upgrades on my laptop. I have had several bad
experiences upgrading RHEL. In 2 specific cases we were upgrading from
RHEL between updates. Both cases were done by IT professionals. One was
in Toronto that really messed everything up where the development
environment was totally messed up. We then requested that IT do a fresh
install. At HP in Marlboro, the engineer was an experience IT person
who actually maintained the local RHN mirror. He did everything totally
by the book by making sure all existing patches were applied, et. al.
The end result was that we had to do a fresh install. Most vendors try
to insure that you can upgrade between adjacent releases or updates,
but sometimes things don't go as planned.

At home I frequently do fresh installs into a spare partition so I can
always roll back, but I have also found that some desktops (like KDE)
are not backwards compatible.

Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846