Waffling on the iPhone: the winner was...

 Hello:

In the end, I could not justify the cost of AT&T service for the
iPhone.  Bundling handset makers with service providers means we get
less phone for the money than the rest of the world because two
companies have to profit instead of each company competing directly.

I got a Nokia N82 instead.  The phone rocks.  It is not a phone, it is
a computer, meaning some of the updates have not worked, I have had to
stuggle to get the right wires for things.  The 8G chip to store maps,
music and video didn't work with the card readers I have, so another
reader was required.  That is a good problem to have, which ten bucks
can fix.  They will be coming out with a 16G card, and that should
drop right in.

The quality of the skype phone is not good enough to convince the wife
to drop the land line.  Bummer.  I like being able to get weather and
check my email without turning on a computer at home.

The camera and video are quite good.  Zooming does not work well since
it is digital, not optical.  I was at the Red Sox - Rangers slugfest,
19-17, and recorded one of the home run,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ry-JJ7KwE  iMovie was used for
putting it together instead of an open source alternative.

GPS so far has been a bust due to a botched upgrade of the software.
Someday I'll try and put the effort in to clear that up.

Overall, it is a better piece of hardware as far as the phone and
video is concerned.  The interface took a few days to get used to, but
it is consistent, and people have thought about making it efficient.
The phone part has worked great.  The contact list was generated by
doing a vCard export of my Google contacts for phone/email/postal info
to my iBook Pro, then iSync with blue tooth on (which I usually keep
off).  The phone keeps a charge for two or three days, pretty good for
a smart phone.  I don't type on my phone, but I have used Jott.com to
email and text the misses.  If you can say it in 30 seconds, there is
no need to type an email from a phone.

Doug

believed to be clean.