Re: Install Fest Assistance?

 You're welcome to attend. We've been running installfests since 1997.
I don't recall seeing anyone at OLPC who looked out of place.

A google search for Vaio PCG-505F brings up a Linux install HOWTO
dated November 1999, as the first link. As I recall, machines from that
era tended to come with 32 MB of memory, which wouldn't be enough
for things like Firefox, OpenOffice, Gnome, etc. To get decent performance,
you'd need to choose some lightweight alternatives. How much RAM
does it have, and how big is the hard drive?

Installing from a CD was apparently tricky back then for the Vaios, due to
a severely nonstandard pcmcia cdrom drive that Sony shipped. it might
be easier to do a network install, where the boot CD would be run by
the BIOS, and the Linux installer would not need to read from the CD
afterward. A pcmcia ethernet card is more likely to be supported by the
installer. I'll bring my network install server.