Re: Permissions and groups

 That problem description isn't detailed enough to identify the problem.
What exactly are you trying to do that fails, and what is the error
message?

Given the permissions you describe, you should be able to create
new files in /public and delete files from /public while logged in as
the user "bill". However:

If you try to create a file "foo", and there's already a file "foo" in
/public that you don't have permissions on, then you'd actually
be trying to modify "foo" and that would be failing.

Similarly, if there's a directory, symlink, or other file type named "foo",
the same issue arises.