HDTV storage needs

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 11:34 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 10/02/2008 10:07 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:36:34AM -0400, John.Boland-4MWP6VXyifjQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> >
> >> you said you have three tuners. what are using for a signal source? I'm
> >> just using a splitter and getting the analog signal off my cable (rcn).
> >> this limits me to about channel 70 for the two cards.  unfortunately, my
> >> backend doesn't have firewire (yet) so that I could tap into the hd
> >> cable box.
> >>

> > RCN doesn't do analog in Waltham any more :(
> >
> AFIK, cable companies are required to provide analog until 2012. They
> can do this by either providing analog/DT/HD feeds or by providing
> digital converter boxes free of charge to some subscribers. Currently
> Comcast is providing analog, but they have cut out a few of channels.

Verizon's FiOS TV services has gone the converter box route. I've got
two of them, long been meaning to actually hook one into my myth setup
(its basically a very tiny bare-bones motorola cable box), but 99% of
what I really actually care about watching is in unencrypted qam, and
now I have the hd-pvr to hook up instead...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org