Choosing a motherboard

On 10/20/2008 08:47 AM, Tim Callaghan wrote:
> I'm looking to build a new system with 8GB RAM and a Q9550 CPU (quad
> core).  I'm going to use a swappable SATA hard drive so I can have the
> machine running 1 or more linux distrubutions plus various microsoft
> OSs, one at a time.  I do not want to be using virtualization as I/O
> is very important for testing in this lab environment.
>
> My main question/concern is selecting a motherboard that will be fully
> compatible with the distributions I need to run.  I'm certainly going
> to be running Fedora Core 9, Oracle Unbreakable Linux, Red Hat and
> others.  How do I choose the motherboard so that I don't have issues
> getting the onboard USB2.0, audio, video & ethernet working?
>
> I don't need high end graphics, I was planning on going with embedded
> video.  Functioning audio is not a requirement but a nice to have.
>
> Any recommendations as to where I can look on the web (the distro
> sites seems to have little if any compatibility information and most
> of it is regarding HP/Dell, not for a custom system build) or what you
> know will work would be greatly appreciated.
>  =20
I decided to buy a Penguin system. It uses a Tyan motherboard and ha an=20
AMD Opteron quad core processor as well as swappable SATA drives.
http://www.penguincomputing.com.
The last time I built a system it took me a year based on the little=20
time I had.
Here is the configuration web site:
<http://www.penguincomputing.com/products/linux/workstation/configurator/=
tempest3000?cfgid=3D4032039&tabname=3Dconfigure>

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846