My email habits (and you can too.)

Dan Ritter-2 wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:59:48PM -0700, Brendan Kidwell wrote:
>> Another tip I'd like to add is to use RSS feeds and a feed reader
>> wherever
>> possible.
>>
>> Any information resource that can be viewed as a series of posted items
>> on a
>> time line (podcast, broadcast news feed, forum threads) I am much more
>> comfortable reading in Google Reader than in my mail client...
> Do you retain threading that way?

RSS by itself doesn't handle threads. That's why Nabble (and other web forum
software) provide distinct "new threads" and "new messages" feeds for each
forum. The RSS feed item says "a new item was posted in this bucket" and it
always has a link to some external resource where you can view the item in
the context of its bucket. So I get a new message in "BLU Discussion New
Messages" in my feed reader, and I see:

* the subject line for the thread
* the body of THIS message, including any quotation
* a link to view the entire thread in Nabble web front-end, with this
message selected.

As always, YMMV. Some people would never use a forum where you have to use a
web app to browse and post because it's too slow or too resource-intensive
on the client end. This method probably wouldn't work for them.