dual monitor automatic setup

I have a former boss who uses 6 different monitors on one system.  One
wide screen, one TALL screen and 4 regular.
All driven by one Linux computer (previously Mandriva/Mandrake,
currently Ubuntu).  He always forgets to save
his config so has to re-do it from scratch each time he does a wipe type
upgrade (like when he went from Mandriva
to Ubuntu).

Just have to configure each separately, but they all go in the same
config file.

Contact me offline and I will give you his email if you want to ask some
specific questions, but this is on his desktop.

I did it years ago on my laptop, but I don't remember what I did.  It
was on an old RedHat distro.
I used it with and without a docking station, where the internal display
was used as a screen, and the
desktop screen was used ALSO when plugged into the docking station, yes
they had different
resolutions, and it just worked.  I did not use different accounts,
since the config is for the system, and
not the user.  I also had a docking station at home, with a different
size monitor on it.