linux on a T60 -- no sound, no wireless and no external video

> For a while now, I have been trying to install a linux distribution
> on a Levono T60
>
> I have tried Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu.
> While the distributions load and run, I am problems in three areas:
>
>   - sound
>   - wireless
>   - <Fn><F7> monitor video switching.
>
> In some cases I can get one or the other to work, but not all three at once.
> Before wiping out the hard disk again, I am posting to this group
> if anyone has suggestions for an installation most likely to succeed
> (or do I need to buy a new laptop and throw the Levono away as a lemon?).
>
> There are a wealth of suggestions for fixes from google searches,
> but I am running into so many useless ones that I trying
> to see if there is a better way than picking a randon distro
> and a bunch of useless time-wasting "work-arounds".

Thinkwiki is a good resource for finding what needs to be done to get
certain distros to run on Thinkpads.  See:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60

You're probably not going to find a distro where everything just works.
  It's typical to have to put some effort in to your configuration to
get all of the functionality from the machine.  I have plenty of luck
getting a T61 to run Fedora and Ubuntu...the T60 is very similar.  I
know someone who has a T60 and runs Fedora as well.  Thinkpads are very
Linux friendly, in my opinion, so you made a good choice with the T60.

Good luck!

--
Ryan Pugatch
Systems Administrator