linux on a T60 -- no sound, no wireless and no external video

Hi,

Quoting "R. Luoma" <nobluspam5476-MTb9uo0rH9eJIAd+swBSYQ at public.gmane.org>:

> For a while now, I have been trying to install a linux distribution
> on a Levono T60
>
> I have tried Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu.
> While the distributions load and run, I am problems in three areas:
>
>  - sound
>  - wireless
>  - <Fn><F7> monitor video switching.
>
> In some cases I can get one or the other to work, but not all three at once.
> Before wiping out the hard disk again, I am posting to this group
> if anyone has suggestions for an installation most likely to succeed
> (or do I need to buy a new laptop and throw the Levono away as a lemon?).
>
> There are a wealth of suggestions for fixes from google searches,
> but I am running into so many useless ones that I trying
> to see if there is a better way than picking a randon distro
> and a bunch of useless time-wasting "work-arounds".

I've had a T60 and I've been running Fedora on it for two years.
I started with Fedora 7 and currently I run Fedora 10.  Sound and
Wireless work great for me.  Note that for sound you need to have
the "modem" enabled in the BIOS.  For wireless it depends on which
wireless card you have.  I have the Intel 3945 and Fedora supports
that using the iwlwifi driver.  If you have the Atheros then you'll
need an external driver.

For external video --- it does work (although I've never got the Fn-F7
key to do anything).  With F10 I use xrandr.  unfortunately the VGA
is "Screen0" and the LCD is "Screen1" so gnome-panel gets unhappy.

Hope this helps.

> Thanks,
> --
> R. Luoma