Home automation protocols

Seth Gordon wrote:
> ...as long as I'm using X-10 I can't switch my lights over to CFL or
> LED bulbs.  The times I've googled around for alternatives, it seems
> that every other system is pitched to people with a lot more
> disposable income than I have.

A bit ironic the way power savings and home automaton are at odds, due
to CFLs. Some of the lighting most suitable for automation, like outside
porch lights, are harder to automate because of this.

Both INSTEON and Z-Wave offer light switches that internally use relays,
and thus are non dimmable and are compatible with CFLs. I believe you
can get X-10 relay switches too.

Despite having more licensed manufacturers, the Z-Wave components are
generally more expensive, with a relay switch running $60 - $75 for a
good brand, compared to about $45 for the INSTEON. You can get a Z-Wave
relay switch from Intermatic for just under $40, but supposedly it
doesn't send out acknowledge messages (it's speculated that this was
done to avoid violating a patent), and users have complained about the
quality of Intermatic components. The better quality Leviton switches
run $70 to $80.

Aside from the cost, the downside to any of these relay switches is that
they require a neutral feed to the switch, which is often absent in the
wiring in old houses where they often ran the power feed to the light
fixture, and looped the hot side over to the light switch.

(X-10 dimmer switches work around the absent neutral by leaking some
current through the filament of the incandescent bulb when its off.
Supposedly Z-Wave dimmers can work like this too[1], but not INSTEON.)

Although you can hang tight until LED bulbs replace CFLs, some LED bulbs
  might incorporate switching power supplies and lead to the
complications. And if you have a missing neutral, that will still be a
problem with LEDs.

1. http://misterhouse.wikispaces.com/Insteon#insteon_x10_zwave_upb

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> My experience with dimmable CFLs over the last few years is that they
> fail in less time then an incandescent.

Interesting. I've never had much desire to dim CFLs, but have used a few
dimmable bulbs to accommodate light switch circuits that use TRIACs
(like a motion sensor light switch). I didn't have enough experience
with them to notice any longevity differences, and eventually swapped
out the switches, as the dimmable bulbs were too hard to find. (As the
other poster mentioned, I think they've become more readily available now.)

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA