Drive mirroring - opinion wanted

Richard Pieri wrote:
> Even outgoing mail needs to be stored somewhere before transmission.

Depends on the MTA, but usually true.

You can fairly easily add custom notification scripts to smartd, so you
could have it send mail using a client that talks SMTP directly to a
remote relay host (there are numerous Perl modules that do this). Or you
could have it broadcast a syslog message, etc. On my desktop systems, I
use smart-notifier, which is a Python script that displays a GUI dialog
for SMART events.

> If that is on the faulted drive then the notice may never get sent.

A typical drive fault won't prevent the drive from working. If the
problem is that catastrophic, you'll likely notice it in other ways.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA