Mac vs. PC costs

    >> I think most of us will concede that Mac costs more to acquire
    >> (initial and software) than PC based products.

    Jarod> I still disagree that its the huge gap people make it out to
    Jarod> be, though with caveats.

I agree that it isn't a huge gap if you compare retail prices.  But I
assume none of us pays retail prices when we're spending our own money.

So what should actually be compared is the sale prices at the big
discount retailers with the prices at the Apple refurb store (I don't
actually shop for Apple stuff very often, but when I have looked at
something, I've never found any place with significantly better discounts
than the Apple store.)

I think if you want the newest, shiniest PC hardware, it's not going to
cost less than the newest, shiniest Apples, and maybe more.  But if
you'll settle for the discounted and refurbed stuff from last year, I
think you can find a better deal on a PC.  My new desktop with 8G and 1
terrabyte and Blue Ray was $649 from ecost.com; I haven't ever seen a
deal like that on an Apple.  The cheapest desktop I see on the Mac store
is an iMac for 999 (this includes a monitor) with 2G, 320G and a
Superdrive.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

With all these books, as with any on the subject, do not expect to
turn yourself into an expert via the printed word alone.  You can
commit to memory everything Lichine has to say about Gevrey-Chambertin
and still have no idea whether you would like the wine.

Kingsley Amis, _On Drink_