TV USB Stick

Thanks Jarod,
The question my wife asked was "could we get a portable tv so I wan
watch tv on the deck".  The deck has AC power, but no cable, but we can
easily see the Needham antenna farm. So, for about $200 I could buy a
portable (or small screen) digital TV set, or get a USB tuner. The
UB435Q seems to fit the bill. The only real question is how would the
reception be using the built-in antenna, but for $30+shipping, it
appears to be a good deal and has some good reviews. The Hauppauge
HVR-850 looks good at $60, but it needs an external antenna. I'm doing a
bit more research, but I might bi\uy one of the units before next
month's meeting.

On 06/22/2009 12:15 PM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> If you want it to Just Work and want both OTA and cable support (not =20
> to mention both analog and digital support), I'd say get the Hauppauge =
=20
> HVR-950Q. Not the cheapest, but its very well supported. If digital =20
> cable really doesn't matter, the Hauppauge HVR-850 would fit the bill.
>
> The only other usb stick I have direct experience with is the KWorld =20
> PlusTV 340U, which is no longer shipping, at least, not as the 340U =20
> anymore -- its been externally rebadged UB-435Q, but says 340U rev B =20
> on the internal PCB... I have the rev A 340U working quite well now =20
> under Linux, with my patches for it pending inclusion in the upstream  =

> v4l-dvb mercurial tree. The rev B. is identical, save the tuner, which =
=20
> actually complicates things on the Linux side, since the tuner needs =20
> to be set up differently, but we currently have no way to tell which =20
> tuner version is present until we configure the tuner... incorrectly,  =

> in the case of the rev. B...
>
> Not particularly familiar with any other devices.
>
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846