Goodbye to copper?

Dan Ritter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 08:37:20PM -0400, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
>
>> I recently overheard a discussion from a FIOS tech saying at some
>> point in the near future the existing copper infrastructure is simply
>> so old it will be ripped out, apparently forcing existing landline
>> customers to switch to fiber...???   Didn't quite sound right, but
>> maybe the backbone infrastructure (poles/street) will be making way to
>> fiber?
>>
>> Was this tech telling the truth, providing an assumption, or maybe
>> offering what he hopes might happen?
>>
> Every time VZ puts in a FIOS deployment, they rip out the
> copper. This is because copper is regulated and must be re-sold
> to their competitors, but fiber is not. The next people to ask
> for a copper service (or a competitor) will have to pay for an
> all-new install.
>
> -dsr-
Copper lasts for up to 100 years or so, but I've been told that fiber is
designed to last 20. Is this true?

I've also read that in Massachusetts you can tell them not to remove the
copper and that they have to leave it in place.

Every time I've checked to see if DSL is available, it used to say no,
now it just switches to FIOS. I am within the distance from the CO, even
considering routing past the original CO that was replaced about 1940 or
earlier. DSL dry-loop supposedly costs $19.99 (1M/768k), or $29.99(3M/768k).

Jarod said he has Business FIOS instead of residential. Looks like the
per-month cost ($49.99) is the same as residential, but they charge $99
for installation and require 2yr instead of 1yr contract.

--Randy