Western Digital 4TB NAS WDH2NC40000N

Federico talked about the MyBook II at the May meeting. At the moment we
are reviewing our storage needs in the office. Our systems in the office
are all SCSI (eg. $$$) and we were thinking of buying a Mybook II to use
as a backup server. We currently have one of our servers backing up our
data nightly. What we would like to do is use something like the Mybook
II configured as RAID1. We currently are using about 500GB on our backup
system, but we are using about 800GB on our primary system (some of this
data is duplicated from Toronto and does not currently need to be backed
up).  Would I be able to use the WD Mybook II out of the box without
hacking it as a NAS backup server or does it only support Windows and
Mac out of the box.

Actually, my idea would be to set up a private network between it and my
NFS server using a crossover cable, but there should be nothing wrong
with giving it one of our office IP addresses and attaching it to out
Netgear GB switch. My concern over hacking is not so much the doability
of it, but the time it will take.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846