best office/home office setup - the telecommuter

I just bought a couple Thinkpads for a couple of our engineers,
and one thing I ran into was a difference in supported screen
resolutions.  The T500 is 1680x1050, with no other options,
whereas the W500 is available as either 1680x1050 or 1900x1200.

My engineers explicitly asked for 1900x1200, so we went with
W500's.

For your requirements, if you'll be using it both at home and at
the office, I'd suggest getting two docking stations, one for
each location. That will save you the trouble of fiddling with a
bunch of cables when arriving at or departing from each location.