best office/home office setup - the telecommuter

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM, John Abreau<jabr-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I just bought a couple Thinkpads for a couple of our engineers,
> and one thing I ran into was a difference in supported screen
> resolutions. ?The T500 is 1680x1050, with no other options,
> whereas the W500 is available as either 1680x1050 or 1900x1200.
>
> My engineers explicitly asked for 1900x1200, so we went with
> W500's.

Thanks.  I was frustrated by that (lack of finer resolution) on my
prior T500.  I'd constantly be

> For your requirements, if you'll be using it both at home and at
> the office, I'd suggest getting two docking stations, one for
> each location. That will save you the trouble of fiddling with a
> bunch of cables when arriving at or departing from each location.

Agreed, it's much less hassle to use a docking station.  Another
option, if I have my home office already setup, is that I use synergy
to at least sit in my normal position and control the laptop.

On a related note, do you have people using multiple heads and the
W500?  I lost the capability to drive a notebook screen and external
monitor __as one large desktop__ on the "upgrade" to Ubuntu Ibex or
Jaunty

--
Greg Rundlett

nbpt 978-225-8302