Changing color depth in Ubuntu 9.10

> I tried "sudo find xorg.conf" and it indicated the file was not found,

Is that literally the command you used?

The syntax for find(1) is

    find where-to-search [ patterns ]

So the command

    find xorg.conf

says to start at "xorg.conf" in the current directory, and since there
were no patterns given to narrow down the search, it will list all
files and folders found beneath it.  If there is no file or directory
named "xorg.conf" in the current directory, then it will complain
that there's No such file or directory.

To search the entire system for a file named xorg.conf, the command
would be

    find / -name xorg.conf

with "sudo" prepended so it won't get permission errors, of course.
And find(1) will traverse the entire filesystem for this, so it will
take a long time.