Android battery life

Yesterday, my charge was at about 15% at 4PM, so that was about 20 hours
with everything turned on and frequent use including camera. I was
taking my afternoon walk into Auburndale village, and the old Ice Cream
Club now is Wally's Wicked Good Ice Cream and Treats. They open today at
3PM. I usually walk about 1PM, but I may go later just to get an ice
cream. Basically, I think the battery life if reasonable considering the
type of smartphone, and the fact that it is my new toy.

Bill Ricker and I have had some tiny discussions about holding a
Smartphone meeting. I really don't have a lot of experience with Linux
based Smartphones and PDAs other than my Android where Bill and Dave
Kramer have used other Linux based handhelds.

On 03/18/2010 07:52 PM, Shankar Viswanathan wrote:
> I got a Droid on Verizon recently. I tried an experiment last week
> where I turned off GPS, Wifi and background sync using the power
> control widget right after a full charge. With a few phone calls
> (maybe about 45 minutes of total talk time), and the occasional email
> and calendar syncing (manually of course) and a bit of browser usage,
> I was able to go almost 4.5 days before the battery level fell below
> 10%. I don't think I ever turned on the Wifi or GPS during this
> period. So, if I use it as a *phone*, the battery life isn't bad.
>
> With more frequent 3G and Wifi use, obviously the battery life drops
> such that I need to recharge everyday or every other day. In my
> experience, the GPS is the worst culprit -- I turned it on a few days
> ago to find my way around various flooded roads, and the battery level
> started going down very quickly. It is not just the GPS circuitry by
> itself, but also the data connection needed to download the Google map
> tiles.
>
> Jerry: perhaps we should have another open mike night about things
> people have done with their smartphones. Both cool apps people have
> used and any experiences with Android/WebOS/iPhone development

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846