More "Fun" from Oracle

On 11/08/2010 02:57 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Richard Pieri<richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>> Two more monetizing changes to formerly Sun properties....
> When the Oracle's purchase of Sun first came out,  I could see why
> they would want some of the software, but I couldn't understand what
> they were going to do with the hardware.  (Or the low cost software.)
>   It was after I heard
> an "ad" on NPR radio that I decided that Oracle wants to be the new
> IBM.  The place you can go to get all of your enterprise IT problems
> solved.   Software/Hardware/Integration.  All in house.  Just write a
> LARGE check.   If I'm right, we can expect less and less concern for
> price sensitive customers and more and more integration of in-house
> technologies.   Interoperability will probably suffer as well.  Just
> my two cents...
I don't disagree. Over the years many companies went head-to-head with
IBM and lost. The reason that Windows grew like it did was that they
initially were in a niche market that IBM was not all that interested
in, even though they built the PC. Sun's growth and success was also in
a much different market. Today the landscape is much different. IBM is
still the big guy in town unless SCO puts the out of business :-).

In any case, we in the Open Source community need to watch close.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix