Migrating off Vmware-Server, but where to?

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 12:21:03PM -0500, Kent Borg wrote:
> Ben Eisenbraun wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, according to [1] vmware-server has been EOLed, and there
> >> does not appear to be a "free" (as in beer) replacement.
> >>

> > [...]
> > In most ways, I would really rather be running KVM, since I feel like it
> > has a bright future, and Oracle hasn't shown itself to be a particularly
> > good steward for free software projects
>
> Allow me to restate the obvious: The whole reason the question came up
> is that vmware-server is going away because Vmware decided to drop it.
> Switching to Virtualbox would put you in the same pickle the day Larry
> might make a similar decision.

The situation is not entirely analogous, since there is an open source
version of VirtualBox.  If Oracle puts the screws to the VirtualBox user
community, they can fork it.  No such option existed for VMware users.

-ben

--
the imagination imitates; it is the critical spirit that creates.
                                                    <oscar wilde>