Boston Linux & Unix (BLU) Home | Calendar | Mail Lists | List Archives | Desktop SIG | Hardware Hacking SIG
Wiki | Flickr | PicasaWeb | Video | Maps & Directions | Installfests | Keysignings
Linux Cafe | Meeting Notes | Blog | Linux Links | Bling | About BLU

BLU Discuss list archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Dueling DNS Dillema

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:56 PM, David Kramer <david-8uUts6sDVDvs2Lz0fTdYFQ at> wrote:

> As some of you know, I am also on the board of
>, as well as the Team Lead of their IS group.
>  We are in the process of changing names from New England Agile Bazaar
> to Agile New England.  Due to my particular brand of insanity, I am
> trying to combine moving web hosts at the same time as the name change.
> We are currently on GoDaddy, a company that I have defended in the past.
>  We've had a lot of problems with their service, only made more
> frustrating by their refusal to acknowledge the cold hard evidence I've
> given them in the way of diagnostics output from a watchdog program I
> wrote (more info on request).
> We did our research, and selected HostGator as the new web host.  While
> we haven't gone live their yet, I am outright giddy over how good their
> 24/7 chat support and service is.  I highly recommend them.  We're still
> fighting Joomla a bit, but that's not their doing.
> Here's the problem.  The new domain names were bought by another member
> of the group, under a personal GoDaddy account she controls, separate
> from AB's own GoDaddy account, which I hope to soon take great pleasure
> in canceling.
> The process to transfer the domain name from her GD account to our HD
> account starts with her getting the auth code for the website from GD,
> and us filling out an online form on HG.  A few hours later she gets an
> email asking for confirmation, and that's pretty much it.
> The problem is every time we get the auth code and try it, a few hours
> later we get an email back saying the auth code was wrong.  We have
> tried this no less than seven times.  Oh, and we tried the "wait a few
> days and try again" thing in case the responses to onld requests were
> getting mixed in.  No joy.  Not even a Betty.  Both companies say it
> usually "just works", and they don't really hav a procedure for doing
> sensible things like TALKING TO EACH OTHER!!!
> What would you do in this situation?
> Thanks.
> _______________________________________________
> Discuss mailing list
> Discuss-mNDKBlG2WHs at

Make sure she's unlocked the domain at GoDaddy.  If you don't unlock it,
then it doesn't matter if you get the auth code.

Another option is to unlock the domain, then in GoDaddy transfer it to your
name/address/email.  Then you can have full access to the domain and do the
transfer yourself.  The only downside to this approach is with GoDaddy every
time you make a change to your domain, they put a 90 day no transfer lock on
the domain.  But, you could at least change your nameservers and point to
the new servers.


BLU is a member of BostonUserGroups
BLU is a member of BostonUserGroups
We also thank MIT for the use of their facilities.

Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS!

Boston Linux & Unix /