NoSQL vs SQL

On 12/07/2010 10:56 AM, Laura Conrad wrote:

>      Matt>  if your bank was running a NoSQL database and you just
>      Matt>  deposited your money and expected the transaction to show up
>      Matt>  when you looked at it from your phone and didn't see it there
>      Matt>  and they told you your account would be "eventually
>      Matt>  consistant" with what they were telling you, would you be
>      Matt>  happy?
>
> No, but it would be normal for a bank.

That's an artifact of "proof and transit" at a bank. Before the
electronic funds are updated, all credits are verified. Generally
speaking, the authoritative copy is consistent after a credit is approved.

Consider this: You deposit a check for $500 in an ATM. Does the ATM put
$500 in your account? Usually not. Once or twice a day the deposit
envelopes are sent to a room when they are shucked, the money counted
and the checks run through reader. The transaction is then applied to
your account. Leaving the non-cash amount as "uncollected." When the
checks clear,  the bank updates your account and makes the cash available.

Where was I going? oh, yea, I digress, a rule of thumb: Banks don't
screw around. A credit to your account takes time and verification, a
debit comes out right away. :-)