Linux Foundation

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Steven L. Kleiman <kleiman-jjUpw6JcT4r2fBVCVOL8/A at public.gmane.org>wrote:

>   1. Linux Foundation Memberships (Chris O'Connell)
>  I've been looking at getting a membership at Linux Foundation.org for a
> while now.  The benefits don't seem so great that they justify the
> membership costs, but maybe I'm missing the overall point?  Does anyone in
> our organization have a Linux Foundation membership?  Any reasons to buy or
> not to?  Is the membership largely a scam or does the foundation actually
> further the use of Linux?
>  -SLK-10Dec16> I joined in order to get a discount on a new Dell Laptop,
> and the discount more than paid for my membership.  -- Steve

It is most definitely not a scam. They run the LinuxCon shows, which yielded
a decent turnout in Boston last summer and attracted some well-respected
speakers (e.g. Eben Moglen). They also pay Linus' salary and do good work as
a vendor-neutral Linux advocacy group.

The membership pays for itself pretty quickly if you shop at any of the
organizations that offer discounts. You get the Dell employee discount, for
example.