[Discuss] Full disk encryption

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Jim Gasek
>
> there is a performance
> hit.

There may be a performance hit in some situations, but not on modern or
decent computers with decent encryption.  I have two points to back this up:

I have a Core2 laptop running windows.  I benchmarked it before enabling
bitlocker, and again after enabling bitlocker.  I found the performance was
equal in both situations, but when bitlocker was enabled, I had 30-35%
increase cpu load.  In later processors (i7 for example) they support the
AES instruction set, which reduces this by 1-2 orders of magnitude, which
means there is no significant performance difference.

> The more likely scenario will be that people
> in corporate situations will be forced to
> use it.   And then you won't like it.

I deploy bitlocker and filevault to all my users, and they don't notice it
or care.
Except some - Some people demand it explicitly because they are concerned
about their data being stolen.

Nobody is opposed to it.  Not a single person.