[Discuss] Adventures in N40L Land

On 2/14/2012 10:59 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> One issue with RAID is that you don't want to mix geometries. I like to
> keep 2 different makes of drives in my RAID because of different MTBFs.
> We've had simultaneous drive failure in the BLU servers, With 2
> different makes (or at least 2 different lot numbers) the chances of
> simultaneous disk failure is lower.

Small differences in geometry (slightly different numbers of blocks)
aren't a problem; you just create the partitions to match the smallest
drive. If the leftover space is large enough you can use it for a
variety of purposes, including a boot partition (even a RAID 1 pair of
them if you have a couple of matching spaces) or swap. Setting up boot
from a RAID 5 is a pain if your distro supports it at all, so a vanilla
boot partition is handy. Small amounts of leftover space get wasted, but
what's a stray GB among friends?

Large differences and/or differences in block size are best avoided,
though after the first 200GB drive failure it was replaced with a 250GB
drive because 200GB drives were no longer readily available.

I ran a RAID 5 server with five 200GB drives for a few years; it was a
media server for storing my music and video collection. There were three
different brands of drives, and no two drives were from the same
manufacturing lot as I had bought them one at a time whenever special
deals were offered. I suffered two drive failures over that period, but
they were widely separated and no data was ever lost.

After the second failure I replaced that with a RAID 1 pair of 1.5TB
drives, and reused the four good drives in other servers (two servers
with RAID 1 pairs in two email servers, one at my house and one at a
friend's house). All are currently going strong.