[Discuss] Claws Mail

On 08/03/2012 09:42 PM, edwardp at mcom.com wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 21:32:52 -0400
> Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 18:53:16 -0400
>> <edwardp at mcom.com> wrote:
>>> I switched to it from Thunderbird.  Works great.  Cannot /compose/
>>> HTML with it,
>> I count that as a feature. :)
> Claws started out as part of Sylpheed and it was known as
> Sylpheed-Claws back then.  Eventually it branched out on its own and
> became Claws Mail.  Sylpheed is definitely worth taking a look at as
> well, it's also available for Windows and I have both installed under
> both operating systems.  http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/ is Sylpheed's
> web site.
>
> Jerry first told me about Claws several years ago.

I used Claws for a long time. At the time, they did not provide a binary
(at  least with the plugins I needed and at that time the plugins were
compiled in). So I would build claws from source. At one point, claws
would no longer build on my system and I switched to Thunderbird.
Originally I used an MH mail format, and used fetchmail and procmail to
deliver my email. At that time I decided to switch to Thunderbird.  The
issue I have had with Thunderbird is that it occasionally freezes.
While Thunderbird can be configured to always view email as text and
always send mail as text, I do like to send html email, especially to
some of my military guys who can't read small text (and one guy still
uses webtv :-)

In any case, I can't say anything bad about claws. The few issues I had
(other than the build failures) were answered quickly and satisfactorily.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix