[Discuss] Opinions needed: wiki software

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:39:53 -0400
Daniel Barrett <dbarrett at blazemonger.com> wrote:

> Glad to hear it. If you're concerned about not being able to find a
> compatible computer, maybe running your wiki in a VM would avoid the
> issue?

That's a non-starter when the failed hardware is a PowerPC G4 Mac
running OS X 10.3. No, I did not set this up. I just inherited the
cleanup long after the person who did set it up had left.

The real solution is: don't use wikis for static documents and web
sites.

This is another case of what I was railing about over databases and
backups. An application should be no more complex than is absolutely
necessary to do what it needs to accomplish. If Bill's server were a
collection of static HTML files then we wouldn't need to have this
discussion. Copy the files over to the new server, configure whatever
virtual domains need to be configured, update the DNS records, copy
user home directories if necessary, and done. Less than 30 minutes of
actual work plus whatever time spent watching files being copied.

--
Rich P.