[Discuss] Fwd: Can I borrow a mDP to HDMI adapter for the next meeting?

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> wrote:

> > Or does it search for any active input?  If that's the case I'll slum
> > with VGA.
> I don't have an adapter, but you select the input on the screen at the
> instructor console. However, I can stop at MicroCenter or possibly Best
> Buy to buy an adapter for the BLU if you send me the proper model
> number. I think that JABR may already have one.

I think GAF is right that our usual room can now switch from the center
console, and is pretty bright about autoseeking too.  You may even be able
to have HDMI on one projector and VGA on the other (side) screen.

At least one of the rooms, it may have been 315, had one kind of HDMI
adapter tethered to the HDMI cable, but i didn't note which room or which
style. I wouldn't rely upon that memory !

Net net, since you have 2 devices, running one on HDMI and one on (sx)VGA
seems easier and likely more functional.

HOWEVER, yes, the BLU box of tricks should have one each of the various
HDMI connectors just in case a speaker can't connect. (Before Boston.pm's
room got new longer cabling a few years back, i carried a SVGA 6' M/F cable
extender so the speaker didn't have to sit in the screen.)

(Not just for Mac heads who *expect* all the world to cater to their crazy
connectors and fail to carry their own adapters.  I've seen Boston's winter
aridity fry the presenter's Mac video dongle at the start of a pricy
off-site seminar -- at least the spark fried the dongle and not the
projector nor the laptop's ports -- resulting in tap-dancing and
hand-waving while someone rushes to Apple Store / MicroCenter ! While i can
give a lecture with a stick of chalk, some folks really need their slides.
That speaker did o.k., but some won't.)

--
Bill
@n1vux bill.n1vux at gmail.com