[Discuss] Why use Linux?

markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> Tread lightly, being "absolutist" means you will convince no one and are
> merely singing to the choir. If you are fair and balance the facts, give
> credit where credit is due, open minded people will hear you.

Yep. I mean, I have two very up-front reasons not to use Linux. The
first is the state of desktop environments. For all of the choices
available there are none that are as usable and as polished as
Macintosh, and few that are substantially better than Windows 7. The
second is the mechanisms the Linux kernel uses to dynamically enumerate
devices at boot time are stupid. I don't care if that's how Linus wants
it; they're stupid. They cause too many problems and have spawned too
many incompatible and non-portable workarounds.

--
Rich P.