[Discuss] End of the line for Obi100/110

For a couple of years, I've been using the Obihai Obi110 VoIP device to serve
as my phone gateway.  It plugs directly into the Ethernet and provides a POTS
jack to which all the cordless phones in the house are connected.  It's always
supported Google Voice as its preferred vendor, but due to and end-of-life
announcement for XMPP protocol (for reasons that are vaguely related to some
unspecified need imposed by Google Hangouts technology), Obihai has announced
a list of other vendors:
http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html

A rival claims that its product will keep on working, which begs the question
of why Obihai is sitting on its butt not implementing whatever protocol is
claimed by said rival (GVMate).

How is all this related to BLU/Linux?  Well, if I have to start paying for
VoIP service, I don't want to have to fire up a spare PC running Windows to
run 24/7 phone service (not at $.35/kWh for the electric bill).

Do I finally say screw it, I've had a "landline" phone for too many years, and
cut the cord?  Or is there something about as good as Google Voice that I
should consider switching to?  Frankly, GV just simply *blows away* all rivals
in terms of features/capabilities/everything-- regardless of price.  The fact
that it's been free for years is beside the point.

-rich