[Discuss] Https - the solution to net neutrality and ISP monopolies

On 7/22/2014 9:10 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> Recently I noticed, that all our video streams get interrupted annoyingly frequently.  Buffering every 1-15 minutes, it's infuriating.  Sometimes I can dumb down the connection, switching to CC instead of HD.  Sometimes it helps.  Not always.

Since I have a Verizontal DSL line, I get that too. They're demanding
that NetFlix pay them more.

Not surprisingly, service to Comcast customers improved as soon as
NetFlix starting paying more to Comcast.

> So I VPN'd into work (We have a non-split-tunnel VPN available), and then we can watch it, no problem.  It's the same content, being delivered over the same network, only it's encrypted and hidden from FiOS's routers.  There's no other explanation, simply, caught red handed.

Great idea! Since I use a separate receiver for NetFlix (it's a "Roku"
device), I'll have to set up a proxy and redirect the Roku there.  What
port(s) are needed? Is it all UDP?

Bill

--
E. William Horne