[Discuss] bitnami stacks are awful

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Matt Shields <matt at mattshields.org> wrote:

> I found that out the hard way when one of my clients was using the Bitnami
> Drupal AMI and was complaining how slow his website was for getting barely
> any traffic..  It was using ApacheFriends XAMPP as the backend web/db
> server.  The problem was the way the AMI was deployed it used all the stock
> configs which are meant for desktop development environment, not for
> production loads.

Exactly, it's basically trialware, which I have a hard time justifying for
anything of real consequence.  I mean, they don't market it that way.  If
you're a) non-technical and b) want to try something out, it could serve a
purpose.  But taking your prototype to production will take longer and
probably cost more than the time and money saved in the first place.
Contrast taking a simple plain vanilla setup into production v. un-winding
some vendor apparatus to figure out the important bits.  This problem is
compounded by the tendency for users of said vendor apparaturs to believe
that application deployment or System Administration is something that can
be done in two clicks and 15 minutes.