[Discuss] My HP Pavilion's HD bit the dust and it is 13 years old, so instead of replacing the disk again, I would like a new laptop. But I would like to pay <$300. I do not expect the best or the biggest. I have been told that some computers do not l

> On Jun 2, 2015, at 11:17 AM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 6/2/2015 10:46 AM, Eric Chadbourne wrote:
>> Good point.  They produce so much cheap crap.  Apple designs their
>> own hardware no?
>
> Apple buys from Foxconn, Pegatron and Quanta. Apple has a more active hand in their industrial designs than the other national brands but they still buy from the same ODM everyone else uses.
>
>> What about iXsystems and System76? They seem to generally have good
>> build quality.  Better QA than the big distributors maybe?
>
> iX does servers, different kettle of fish.
>
> System76 buys bare-bones notebooks from some of the ODMs I previously listed. I know they've bought from Clevo in the past but I don't know who they're currently using.

It was a bit off topic but fascinating info.  Thanks.

- Eric