[Discuss] Replacing AD with Samba4

Re-sending, the last one got messed up:

I also run a test AD domain at home, but most of my servers are
standalone and don't use an external server for authentication.

As an IT person, Active Directory has been a necessary evil, regardless
if the majority of the server base is running Linux. All of the
companies I have worked for have had an AD Domain, regardless if their
products were Unix/Linux-based.

With that said, I have found that learning to run Active Directory on
Linux has been a more in-depth learning experience than just firing up a
Domain on a Windows server. AD is a collection of different protocols
and learning how they interact will benefit you no matter what your
preferred OS is. When you setup a domain in Windows, you are never
exposed to the underpinnings like you are in Linux.

With AD, you don't even need to use Samba/Winbind for client
authentication and do LDAP instead.

Going back to the original problems:

1) 'samba-tool drs showrepl' gets a NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE (meaning I can't
verify that replication's working, or not).
Certain things need to be in place before you can talk to the DC:

2) The samba_dnsupdate process gets an error in syslog "RuntimeError: kinit
for DC03$@ETHER.CI.NET failed (Preauthentication failed)" and prevents the
internal DNS server from coming up.

There should be samba logs in /var/log that can give more detailed
information. If it's not detailed enough, you should be able to make it
more verbose

When getting Linux machines talking to Windows AD, I?ve had to have the
following in place:
-Manually adding a DNS entry in the AD DNS
-Setting a hostname identical to the DNS entry
-Pointing /etc/resolv.conf to the PDC/BDC DNS and setting the default
search domain to the AD one
-Having NTP sync to the PDC/BDC, this is more important than you think
because too much time skew will cause the server to stop responding to
requests
-Editing the /etc/krb5.conf file because you need that keytab first and
the vanilla default won't work:

[logging]
  default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log
  kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log

[libdefaults]
  default_realm = DOMAIN.COM
  dns_lookup_realm = false
  dns_lookup_kdc = false
  ticket_lifetime = 24h
  renew_lifetime = 7d
  forwardable = true

[realms]
  DOMAIN.COM = {
   kdc = 192.168.0.1
   kdc = 192.168.0.2
   admin_server = 192.168.0.1
  }

[domain_realm]
  .domain.com = DOMAIN.COM
  domain.com = DOMAIN.COM

[appdefaults]
pam = {
      debug = false
      ticketlifetime = 36000
      renewlifetime = 36000
      forwardable = true
      krb4_convert = false
}

As for your Windows 2008 servers, if the license expires, you should
still be able to continue to use them and get security updates. God only
knows I have a few of those in non-production. The only thing that
should happen is that you will get nag alerts that it's not a genuine
Windows system.

Hope this helps